Each person has their own unique way of speaking - their own accent.
will depend on where you come from, your life experiences and whether or not English
is your first language. An accent can add interest and charm the listener with its unique
qualities. But if your accent prevents you from communicating clearly - whether it's making a
telephone call to a stranger, doing a deal-making presentation at work or interacting with
colleagues at a social event - then it's stopping you from achieving all you want.
Learning the skills to modify your accent will help you become a more confident and
effective communicator in the workplace and beyond.
Test yourself with our Accent Adjustment Self Evaluation Quiz:
- Do people often ask to repeat yourself because they haven't understood you?
- Do you feel you understand exactly what makes your speech different from native speakers?
- Do you know how to place your tongue and lips to make Canadian English speech sounds?
- Do you avoid certain words because you know they are hard for you to say?
- Do you feel sure of your knowledge of English grammar, vocabulary and idioms?
- Do you feel conscious of your accent in social or business situations?
- Do you feel annoyed or embarrassed when people ask you where you are from because of your accent?
If you answered "yes" to more than three of these questions you may benefit from accent adjustment.